Starting any new sport can be intimidating and challenging. Participation, after all, requires understanding the rules, finding people who wish to play, and getting the proper equipment. Luckily, pickleball is one of the most affordable and straightforward sports to learn! While starting takes time and effort, Achieve Sports can help you to join a community pickleball league and play in no time.
At Achieve Sports, we offer a variety of sports leagues, team training, and more in a safe environment. We’re focused on creating a space to help families and individuals learn new activities, develop correct techniques, and reach their full potential. We are proud to provide high-quality facilities, equipment, and events in the heart of Aurora, CO. Sign up for pickleball today or learn more about our other offerings at (720) 330-2200.
Below, we discuss a few tips for pickleball beginners:
Pickleball is one of the fastest-growing community sports in the US. Anyone familiar with tennis, ping pong, or badminton will find it easy to pick up. The International Federation of Pickleball (IFP) governs the rules of pickleball, which you may download from their website for reference. We highlight some of the most important rules here:
- Most pickleball games go up to 11 points, but you must win by 2 points. If you and an opponent are tied at 10 and one of you scores an 11th point, your game must continue until you or your opponent are ahead by 2 points.
- Players must serve underhand, cross-court, and without touching the net within 10 seconds. While the pickleball serving’s nuances require practice to learn, these are the pickleball serving essentials.
- Abide by the double-bounce rule. The ball must bounce on the first serve as well as on the return serve. Its impacts on the ground during the first and return serves are called “groundstrokes.”
- Volleys—hitting the ball mid-air before it bounced—are allowed after the first and return serves. Remember that the bounce requirement doesn’t include the ball bouncing on the net.
Connect with Other Pickleball Players
If you are interested in playing pickleball and lack other players, then Achieve Sports offers ladder leagues for you to join. We will pair you with players at the same skill level who want to improve their pickleball game.
We offer pickleball to all skill levels and ages. You won’t need to purchase any additional equipment, as we provide ready-to-use pickleballs and paddles as well as 4 courts to play on. You’ll be able to practice your serves and volleys at your own pace.
Get Your Equipment Ready
For those who prefer to invest in their equipment, we recommend purchasing a pickleball, paddle, and shoes. Specifics for pickleball equipment include:
- Balls for Indoor & Outdoor Play: Pickleball manufacturers design their products for durability, flight, bounce, and visibility. The most popular outdoor pickleball brands for tournaments include TOP, Dura, and ONIX. Some of the best indoor pickleball brands include Dura Bid-Hole Indoor Balls, Jugs Indoor, Midnight Indoor, and ONIX Fuse Indoor Balls.
- Paddles: Paddles are available in different materials, so you may need to test numerous to find the best one. Pickleball paddle prices range from $20 to $150. Furthermore, manufacturers tailor them to different player levels. We recommend Sports Illustrated’s recent review of the top-of-the-line pickleball paddles of 2022.
- Shoes: While jogging shoes may be the most convenient, they can also increase your chances of injury. The sturdier the shoes, the better off you’ll be. Oprah Daily recommends several pickleball shoe brands that are great for shock absorption, moisture-wicking, lightweight movement, and more.
- Courts: Finding a good court is key to playing a great game of pickleball. As previously mentioned, Achieve Sports offers 4 pickleball courts, but you may also use USA Pickleball’s Places 2 Play pickleball court search.
Register to Join a Community Pickleball League in Aurora, Colorado!
Are you ready to play pickleball and join a pickleball ladder league? Achieve Sports of Aurora, Colorado, offers pickleball courts, equipment, and training for adults and children. We provide high-quality introductory classes, clinics to improve your game, and pickleball leagues for all levels and ages. Get started and join a community pickleball league! Contact (720) 330-2200 to learn about our additional sports offerings.